I am officially NOT a beet person – but I am trying to become one. When I think of beets, I always think of the smell of dirt, but not in a good way. So I did a little looking around to see if there were some different ways to eat beets and I thought a beet sandwich was my best bet. I figured out that I LOVED it this way.
- 6 medium beets, sliced thin
- 1 green onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 yellow tomato, sliced
- good bread
- lettuce or spinach
1. Steam beets. Remove skin. Slice into thin slices.
2. Thinly slice green onions. I cut one in half length wise and then cut into 2 inch sections.
3. Toast your favorite bread
4. To assemble the sandwich spread some mayo on the toast, lay down a layer of green onions, then a layer of beets, then cabbage, then top with a tomatoes.
You know I wish I could tell you that I love and eat everything we grow! And I could – but it wouldn’t be true. So this week, I’ll be leaning on Simply In Season for a recipe using Beets!
Shredded Beet Salad (as brought to you by Simply In Season)
2 cups red beets (cooked, peeled, and shredded)
½ cup fresh parsley (chopped)
3 T olive oil
2 T lemon juice
2 T onion (chopped)
1 T sugar
½ t salt
pepper to taste
Mix the above ingredients together and chill. Then arrange the following around the beets to serve:
1 cup carrots (shredded)
2 hard-boiled eggs (sliced)