For those of you that have not heard – sweet potatoes are a dearly loved vegetable in my house.
These babies are chocked full of beta-carotene (vitamin A) and a good source of vitamin C, fiber, and manganese. they also have a good deal of potassium, iron, copper and vitamin B6. My absolute favorite way to eat this is as a Sweet Potato Fry! We all know you can fry almost anything – they do it at the fair!
There’s fried oreos, fried butter, and fried coke… but I really don’t like to fry things. It just seems like a good way to take a perfectly healthy vegetable and make it bad for you. So, here is a tasty sweet potato fries recipe that uses your oven.
Sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Try them dipped in butter, bleu cheese dressing or ketchup.
- 3 Tbs Olive oil
- 3 large sweet potatoes (from Pekarek’s Produce), peeled and sliced like steak fries
- 3 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat a oven to 425 degrees Farenheit.
- Slice sweet potatoes like steak fries. I like to use my apple slicer to speed up the process.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the oil and sweet potatoes.
- Add seasonings remaining ingredients and toss again to coat evenly.
- Place the seasoned sweet potato fries in one even layer onto a metal baking sheet. (I cover my baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean up. Maintain a space between each fry so they get crispy on all sides. Avoid overlapping the fries by baking them in smaller batches.
- Place the fries into the oven and cook for about ten minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and flip the fries over with a spatula or tongs, then place the tray back in the oven for another ten minutes. Ideally, the fries should be soft on the inside and browned on the outside. Let the fries cool for about five minutes before serving.